TopDecks #1 – Raid Leader is the New Meta
For those who do not know who I am, my name is mongjimongji, and I have recently hit legend in the January season (peaked at #84 Legend rank) with this deck. It is not easy to hit Top 100 Legend rank but I was surprised at the success of this deck and will like to share it with you guys (especially the players who love playing aggressive decks).
This deck had managed to beat some of the top players in the world such as Hyp3d, Hosty, dtwo (Blizzcon semi-finalist) and Firebat (Blizzcon World Champion). It is viable as it is played after the Undertaker nerf.
- 1x Power Overwhelming
- 1x Abusive Sergant
- 2x Clockwerk Gnome
- 2x Flame Imp
- 2x Voidcaller
- 2x Dire Wolf Alpha
- 2x Haunted Creeper
- 1x Ironbeak Owl
- 2x Knife Juggler
- 2x Nerubian Egg
- 2x Harvest Golem
- 1x Raid Leader
- 2x Implosion
- 1x Dark Iron Dwarf
- 2x Defender of Argus
- 1x Piloted Shredder
- 2x Doomgaurd
- 1x Loatheb
- 1x Sea Giant
Everything is pretty standard Zoo.
- 2x Clockwork Gnome – No Leper Gnomes in this deck; I feel that the Spare Part is a lot more useful than 2 damage. They can be potentially game-changing, and nearly half of them can be used to trigger Nerubian Egg.
- 1x Ironbeak Owl – I think there is a need for Silence; the current meta has gotten a lot slower, with less Hunter and aggressive decks. Big Taunts are always a big problem for Zoo and Silence helps out a lot.
- 1x Raid Leader – Known as one of the worst cards in the game, this card is just never seen anywhere. BUT, I do believe that it is actually a decent card. Think about it this way. If you have ever played Hunter (which everyone probably has), you know that Unleash The Hounds + Timber Wolf or Leokk is known to be just the gayest combo ever. You can now have that in Zoo! Implosion + Raid Leader is just ridiculous. It is almost as powerful as Hunter. Even if you do not perform the Implosion + Raid Leader combo, a Zoo deck will naturally have a couple of minions by turn 3; putting down a Raid Leader on curve makes your board a lot stronger. And if you have 4-5 minions on the board, Raid Leader will wreck everything.
- 1x Sea Giant– Having 2x Implosion makes this card much more stronger and viable. If you manage to successfully play Sea Giant, then your chances of winning will increase by a lot. Just a solid card to put in a Zoo deck.
I mean, this is your normal Zoo. Swarm and control the board.
You generally want to hit face, but remember to trade if the opponent is going to get a much more favourable trade. This is one key point all aggro players have to keep in mind. You will also want to try and swarm the board early on (if possible) before the big Taunts at turns 4-6 start showing up. You can then make the call to trade efficiently and the tempo of the game will swing towards you.
Always, well try to, keep the Ironbeak Owl to Silence Taunts. If you are playing against aggro, make sure that you have a stronger board control then them. Once Zoo loses tempo, it can be very hard to catch up. Against control, there’s no need to immediately flood the board; play what you need to play and keep in mind of the Area-of-Effect (AoE) clears that your opponent can do, and slowly wither his health down until you can go for that final burst.
- Executing the Raid Leader combo with a decent number of minions can result in a huge tempo swing, which mostly likely results in victory
- Relatively easy to play
- Relatively cheap (in terms of dust) compared to other decks
- Just a good solid deck for climbing ladder
- Can be very dependent on luck and card draw sometimes
- Match-ups against heavy control or taunt decks are around 40/60
Please do let me know if you have any questions; thanks!
Stay tuned to Hearthstone Alley, or our Facebook and Twitter for more quality Hearthstone and community news!
Mongjimongji is a passionate learner and player, who strives to do his best; he likes to analyse and invent new decks that nobody expects! He is also the winner of the Good Game Convention Hearthstone Daily Challenge #3. If you have any suggestions or queries, please do contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or message him on Facebook!
- Blizzard Entertainment
Edited by Silfer